Camping Water : How To Get It Right
Camping Water & You!
At the very best, camping can be idyllic, you make contact with nature, spend time with friends and explore new places.
At worst, it could be a nightmare, a disappointing vacation spent cold, sick, covered in bites and squabbling with all of your equally miserable companions.
So when you go camping, it is crucial to get it right.
First, decide what kind of camper you are. If you like your creature comforts, you are best off finding somewhere you can park the motor vehicle.
This way, you can bring all of the camping equipment you like and you do not have to carry it all.
Nonetheless, if you are feeling bold and want to hike to your campsite, you will have to choose your camping equipment very carefully.
When you are carrying everything with you, every gram makes a difference. Take as little as possible, and ensure your camping equipment is as light as practical.
Natural sources like lakes and waterholes are usually not safe sources for camping water.
Nonetheless, making an attempt to carry all of your camping water is effective, although incredibly tough work, so you will require some strategy of water purification.
Safe Camping Water Methods
There are several methods to ensure safe camping water:
1. The traditional method is to boil all of your camping water in a billy on a fire or an electrical stove. This is relatively safe, nonetheless it can be untrustworthy.
Boiling limits you to small amounts of water, is sort of slow and frequently leaves you having to drink hot water on a sunny day.
You also need to think about how necessary it is to carry additional camping gear such as an electrical stove or a billy and what will occur if you cannot make a fire.
2. Another preferred technique for camping water is to take water purification tablets with you. Water purification tablets use chemicals like iodine to kill bacteria. On the plus side, they are cheap and faster than boiling your camping water.
Nonetheless many fail to kill off dangerous protozoa like giardia and cryptosporidium, and they often make the water taste terrible.
3. The most suitable choice really is to take water purification equipment. It is cheap, convenient and offers reassurance.
You do not have to carry more camping water than you need and you may be certain you are not going to compromise your health and end up having a nightmarish camping experience.
What essential camping gear you will need:
- A good water purifying system;
- Light hiking tent;
- Lightweight clothing that covers your legs and arms to guard from bites, scrapes and second degree burns;
- Sleeping bag;
- Lots of non-perishable food;
- First-aid kit with: iodine, steri strips, bandages, paracetamol, band-aids, insect spray, sunscreen and anti-histamine capsules;
- Toilet paper.
Video About Camping Water Purification
This 9 minute 20 seconds video discusses camping water purification methods. You will only live 3-4 days without water. Death from dehydration is psychologically and physically a very painfull way to go. You must keep hydrated, and ensure the water you consume is good to drink. Bacteria and parasites will make you very ill. That could be life threatening in serious survival situations.
OR - Other Posts You May Like!
Leave a Reply
Join us using our HIKING EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST PDF
so that you:
1) Pack your gear efficiently;
2) Never forget any gear; and
3) Don't overpack!
Plus - Get our Go Hike PDF Report: an introduction to day hiking, weekend hiking, hiking holidays and hiking equipment.
Plus - Get 10+ BONUS PDF GUIDES On Hiking Equipment & Hiking